With the entry of Senator Chiz Escudero in the gubernatorial race, the Lee family had to step away and avoid confrontation. But to keep their hold on power, two Rodriguezas were fielded in the Congressional races one for each District — Christine Rodrigueza Balita, and incumbent Governor Bobet Lee Rodrigueza. Both will be running under the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) banner.
The Escuderos, however, will not give up their vote base so the matriarch, Evelina Escudero, will seek re-election. Similarly, the Ramoses will not give up the Second District so Maria Bernardita “Ditas” Ramos will take the place of Ding Ramos. Ditas will run under the NPC wing and align with the Escuderos.
Interestingly, a journalist also threw his hat in the Second District race — Juan Escandor, Jr. Can he snatch the post even though he is running as an independent candidate?
The complete list of candidates for the Congressional races is as follows:
First Congressional District
- BALITA, CHRISTINE RODRIGUEZA (PDP-Laban)
- ESCUDERO, EVELINA GUEVARA (NPC)
- LOTINO, EDDIE OLAZO (PFP)
Second Congressional District
- ESCANDOR, JUAN JR. (Independent)
- GABALES, JOSE FUSANA (Independent)
- MALE HOLASO, PILAR NACARIO (Independent)
- MEDINA, RANDY GIDOC (Lakas-CMD)
- RAMOS, MA. BERNARDITA BAÑARES (NPC)
- RODRIGUEZA, ROBERT ANTE LEE (PDP-Laban)